Education Issues

I come back to my blog again with matters related to school & education.

I read in a local newspaper a few days back that Government is going make a rule which allows 25% seats in good schools for underprivileged & economically backward students. These students due financial & other constraints cannot take admissions in schools which take a certain fees to admit the child. These schools are the aided, unaided & the international schools. The government is taking necessary actions to implement the above mentioned rule.

My first query regarding this rule which was also raised by a principal of a certain school is if underprivileged & economically backward students are admitted in schools where students from a stable background are present then there will be a sense inequality, a feeling of inferiority complex & insecurity.The Government probably did not think of this.

My 2nd query is - there are many Municipality & Government schools already existing. What measures have the  Government taken to improve the quality of these already existing schools?

When I was doing my internship I was posted as a part of my internship training, under PSM department at NASEOH, which employed people who had various types of handicaps. As a part of my training I had to go to a Government school for vaccination. This school is located at Deonar, Govandi. When I entered the school campus, I found the school to be too big. It was obvious as all Government institutions have big campuses. I had to go there for 3 days. I realized the students enrolled in the school had been enrolled in various mediums like English, Kannada, Tamil, Hindi, Urdu etc. But what I saw in the students surprised me a lot. All the school students never had a common break, hence one could see the students of various mediums & age groups roaming here & there. I had visited the school around December - January, but I could see students wearing footwear which had to be worn in the rainy whether. Most of the students had unkempt hair & the entire school never had a definite pattern has to how to comb the hair when coming to school. The general discipline as regards to personal appearance & cleanliness was not present in most students I saw. 

Few months back I had read in a local news paper & also heard a news in a local news channel about how teachers of Municipality & Government schools do not keep themselves updated. Some education officials suddenly landed up in certain schools & asked teachers certain questions which the teachers could not answer. The teachers defended by saying that, 'No person would be able to answer if a question is asked suddenly.' Will the students be able to say the same answer to the same teachers who made the above statements. 

Hence instead of making new rules as regards schooling & education, the Government should think of updating their own institutions. They should try improve the quality of their own infrastructures & teachers so as to impart quality education to the students.

Comments

Popular Posts