Another Story Published

I say, with great pleasure, to my readers, that another story of mine is published. And what's even better, I got paid too. My story got published in 'The Children's Magazine'. 

The magazine guys are good. When I sent them the story, they edited & illustrated my story, printed it (of course they had to print it after working on it so much, SILLY ME!), sent me the issue in which they printed my story & also paid me. Good.

But this time (which is my 2nd time for publication in the same magazine) I got a disappointed. They edited a major chunk of my story. When I received the magazine yesterday, I gave a fit & announced in excitement to almost the entire department. But after I came back to normal & decided finally to read what I had written & what had been printed, I was actually disappointed with major chunk of my story edited. But nevertheless, I was featured on the cover page & that's what made me happy.

Another aspect is (I thought I should tell to the readers of my blog as I have decided to wear their shoes & understand their aspect) that the length of the actual story was big for the magazine type. Also the magazine is aimed for the audience who are children aged 4 - 9 years. Hence their editing my story was justified in a sense. 

Below I present the actual, unedited version i.e. original version of my story:

PLACEBO

Speech – It is one of the most effective medium of communication. A good, simple, sweet, clear & effective speech can make a lot of things happen. It helps us in clearing exams like viva voce, maintaining relations, helps in conveying a proper message to the opposite person, helps in getting jobs etc. But improperly spoken words would have a totally bad effect.

Also one should have control over one’s anger. If one can control anger in any situation, he or she would emerge a winner.

I would like to give examples in the form of stories as to how badly spoken words & inability to control one’s anger, can affect a person’s life.

AN AGE OLD STORY
Once upon a time there was a man named Ramesh. He lived in Vijyanagri, ruled by Raja Krisnadeva Raya.

Ramesh had a very bad habit. He always used to talk badly with everyone. He used to talk rudely with his wife, children, guests & everyone in the neighborhood  Due to this he earned a bad reputation. No one wanted to talk to him. No one wanted to do business with him. No one came to his house. Because of his absurd behaviour his wife & children also stopped talking to him. They always feared his speech. As no one talked to him he slowly became lonely.

Hence he decided to approach Tenali Rama.

Tenali Rama was one of the courtiers in the King’s court. He held an important position in the court & was also close to the King Raya due to his intelligence, wit, presence of mind & common sense. He heard Ramesh’s problem.

Tenali Rama said, “I am giving you a bottle of water. It is medicated. You have to take a sip of the water anytime you start conversing with someone. Gulp the water after 10 minutes.” Saying this he went inside his house to bring the bottle of water.

Ramesh did as said by Tenali Rama. This therapy worked for him. People also were surprised by the change in his behaviour. After the completion of one week, he went again to visit Tenali Rama.

Ramesh said, “The therapy has worked for me. Hence I request you to give me another bottle of that medicated water.”

Tenali Rama gave him the water.

This happened for one month. Happy with the progress, Ramesh used to visit Tenali every week. After one month Tenali Rama said, “Now you do not need that medicine.”

Ramesh replied, “Why don’t I need the medicine? I was having good relief after taking the medicine. So why stop it suddenly?”

Tenali Rama said, “You think that the water I gave you to drink is really medicated? No. It was given just to keep your mouth shut for the desired period. Whilst the water was in your mouth you thought that the medicated water is showing its effect. You kept the water in your mouth for 10 minutes which prevented you from arguing or fighting with the opposite person.”

Ramesh understood the meaning of Tenali Rama’s words. The water given by him worked as placebo. But the real moral was also well understood by Ramesh. While the water was in Ramesh’ mouth he kept control over his anger & it prevented him from reacting in a bad manner.

MY STORY
Urwashi studied in class 10. She could not control her anger. This would be seen in her speech.

“Urwashi, how was your day at school? What did you learn?” asked Urwashi’s mother.

“Mom, please do not irritate me. I had a fight with my friend today. I don’t want to talk to you.”

NEXT DAY
“Hey Urwashi. You are back from school. How was your day today & how are your studies going on? Study well, ok, as a lot depends on your 10th standard percentage,” said her father when he met Urwashi that evening.

“Dad, I don’t want to talk to you. I am going to my room. Bye.”

Such conversations would occur frequently between Urwashi & her parents. They would find her answers & reactions rather strange. They could not figure what her problem was; hence they decided to talk to her.

Both of them called her one day & asked her, “Beta, why do you talk to us in such a manner? We never talk harshly with you. We hardly scold you. Your career is entirely your choice. Then why do you speak to us rudely?”

“Mom, Dad, my problem is that I cannot control my anger. I get into silly fights with my friends. When I ponder over the occurred incidence, I would then realize how silly I was. Once my friend, Rupa, accidently fell over me. She immediately apologized I was not hurt either. But God alone knows what happened to me. I got angry on her & shouted at her. I realize that my behavior towards you both is strange. I am lucky to have parents like you both, who have given me immense freedom & have 100% trust on me. But I just cannot control my anger. What should I do?”

On hearing this, Urwashi’s mother said, “Beta, you should learn to control your anger. You are a big girl now. What would your relatives think if you ever happened to interact with them in such a manner? They would blame me & your papa for not having trained you properly. Always remember, a girl has to keep her tongue as sweet as sugar & head as cool as ice. This mantra will help you after you get married too.”

“Why only girls, even boys or any individual of any age group should have a good speech & a pleasant personality. Remember this always Urwashi & from now on if you ever get angry for whatever reason, put a chewing gum or a chocolate in your mouth. Who knows it might act as a placebo!” said Urwashi’s father.

Urwashi apologized to her parents & decided that she will never talk rudely or harshly to anyone. She will learn to control her anger as well as her speech.

It is very important to keep control over one’s anger. Anger is a very powerful emotion. If used in a positive manner, it helps a person but if the reaction is negative, anger is 100% destructive. One should have a good control over speech. As we all have now learnt that a cool head & a good speech can do wonders for a person. 

Comments

Popular Posts