Schools + Education = ???????????

I am a mother of a son. His name is Yuvaditya & he is 9 months 9 days old. By the time he will be around 2 years we will have to start searching for a preschool or play group for him. And this will mark the start of his lifetime education. My sister has already started searching for my nephew as he is 1 year 3months elder to my son.

When I was small life was much simpler. Such concepts like preschool, play groups etc probably never existed or even if they were present my parents might not be aware. Surprisingly I still remember my days in the nursery school where we used to play & have fun. I even remember the teachers name i.e. Geeta teacher & Lewis teacher. Geeta teacher used to run her nursery in her house & I remember it to be fun time. Whenever my mother used to be a bit late in picking me up, Geeta teacher would feed me. She was a south Indian & I remember eating curd rice at her home. She probably must have left for her native place in South India & hence my mother put me in another nursery called Tiny Tots in our colony itself. Here it was Lewis teacher. She was equally good & loving & showered special attention on me. I loved it. I went to St. Mary's Convent High School where I was there till I was 15 years & then eventually took up medicine as my full time profession.

Now is the time when the same things will occur again in my life. It is a sort of a rewind.

But things have changed. Concepts have changed & so has the attitude. Gone are the days of simplicity. Gone are the days when the base of education were the actual basics & our teacher taught us just that. But now the teaching pattern has changed & so has the attitude. Everybody wants to teach & learn everything. They want to make some sort of super heroes out of our children who must know everything at the tip of the tongue. A lack of even minor information & the child is said to behind others.

Parents who want to enroll their children in different schools have an option of different boards i.e. SSC, CBSC, ICSE, IB etc. Then it all depends on who has opened the school & the locality in which the school resides. Other main factor in deciding the school is the extra curricular activities it offers. But the key factor for an admission to any prime school is MONEY. The fees one has to pay to get in one of the so called best schools is enormous. Gone are the days when we as a girl child had free education.

In today's times I really feel I & my husband are going to have a tough time getting Yuvaditya in a good school who would emphasize on basics & not the fashionable things they keep advertising.

My mother & sister had just gone to inquire in a preschool called CAD academy for my nephew. The receptionist asked, "What is the age of ur child?"

My sister answered, "2yrs 1month."

Receptionist, "Oh ho. He is already behind. Didn't you'll feel like putting him earlier in our preschool. Anyways you r not too late. He will catch up. We will correct the parents mistakes effectively."

I hope teaching institutes purely teach & not just boost about somethings which hardly matter. Children learn automatically any damn thing they are interested in. Parents just have to inculcate the right attitude & give good culture.      

Comments

Popular Posts