Writing & Publishing a Book

Since the time, day & date Chetan Bhagat wrote & published his 1st book, I came to know about a lot of people who all of a sudden developed a liking in writing & publishing & want to make a stable career in it. So many people suddenly want to be authors.
 
I work in Dept. of Pharmacology & Therapeutics at Seth G. S. Medical College & K. E. M. Hospital, Mumbai. Once during a lunch break me & my collegues were discussing parenthood & careers our children would like to choose in today's times. One of my senior collegues son once replied to her when she asked her about his career choice that he can become an author & write multiple books as Chetan Bhagat. One of my junior colleagues has already started writing stories which are based on her personal experiences.

Few months ago I read in Times Of India under the section BOOKS that after Chetan Bhagat became popular & saleable, many first time writers got their work published in the quest that they too would be popular & saleable like Chetan Bhagat someday.

Now there are 2 points of discussion from this point onwards.
  1. Chetan Bhagat writes books which have pure entertainment value. About how much literary value his books have is a question left to the readers to answer. But on the whole people like his books & enjoy reading them. His books have inspired many bollywood films & it is heard he is going to assist some director producer in making a film based on his recent book. But the sudden eruption of 'n' number of authors leaves me thinking about the dilution in the quality. Also many would think writing as one of the methods of entry into Bollywood.
  2. Now the main & 2nd important question is where does it leave me? I have already written a book of Short Stories which till date has no buyers & I am already working on another book. I don't say that I am an excellent writer & nor do I claim that my work would give the readers a good literary value but retrospectively reading my short stories I feel they give their message bang on.
I just hope my writing works & turns out be a wonderful book. It will be somewhat helpful to the readers & awfully helpful to me as I am tired working at my current organization. I think I am overqualified to do the work assigned to me. And hence I am desperately waiting for the break.

Comments

Popular Posts