Sarabhai vs Sarabhai - Take 2

I happened to read a post written by one of my junior colleagues. I have now realized, which I have always realized but I never do anything. I always go in some sort of hibernation. And then there are 1000 reasons for not writing. But then there has to be at least 1 reason to write. And that 1 reason keeps lingering in your mind.

I was watching the Season 2 of 'Sarabhai vs Sarabhai'. This season was aired as a Hotstar original in 2017. It used to come as a weekly soap, every Friday. 

I remember those times, when during my younger days, I used to get glued to the television everyday at 9.00 pm for some daily soap opera. When I was in school, the 9.00 pm soaps were actually meaningful and interesting. Those days of Buniyad, Gul Gulshan Gulfarm etc. which were aired at 9.00 or 9.30 pm and the entire family was in front of the television. Except for Doordarshan there were no other channels. And 9.00 - 9.30 pm was 'THE' time. Then Ramayan & Mahabharat was aired during Sunday's around 9.00 am. Then again the morning 9.00 am became the family time.

When I was in grade 7, Star Plus, Zee TV etc started. I still remember, Star Plus used to strictly air English soap opera's like Bold & Beautiful, Baywatch, Beverly Hills etc. Sony TV was originally call EL TV (Electrifying Television). 

But then gradually the number of television channels increased, Star Plus became strictly Hindi and the English soap opera's were transferred to Star World. But all these so called channels started airing 'n' number of soap opera's, throughout the day and not only the quality of the program's decreased but the importance of THE FAMILY TIME was forever lost. 

But still these channels occasionally did air some good program's and one of those was Sarabhai vs Sarabhai. 

All the characters were bole to ekdum jhakaas. And all the actors were so much the character they played. 
  1. Indravadan Sarabhai the rich retired father of 3 children, husband of the classy Maya Sarabhai. Many a times sensible but in the rest of the times, the same insensibly and superbly comic.
  2. Maya Sarabhai - The classy wife of Indravadan, who has absolute control on English language and except for her children, finds everything middle class and down market especially her daughter-in-law Monisha.
  3. Sahil Sarabhai - The only sensible component amongst the funny lot. The fun buster in the gang.
  4. Monisha Sarabhai - The middle class bahu who according to Maya Sarabhai and who in reality does down market things like cutting old clothes to make TV cover etc.
  5. Rosesh Sarabhai - The Momma boy, insensible & stupid poetry maker and a funny character on whom Maya Sarabhai dotes. 
  6. Then some other comic characters like Dushyant Painter (I'll Explain) son-in-law, Sonya Sarabhai Painter, Madhusudan bhai (ha ha) and Ila ben fill in extra funny colors. 
  7. Take 2 (i.e. Season 2) had some new characters too. Sahil & Monisha have become parents of a kid named Aurnob.
  8. And Rosesh has finally developed a love interest Jasmine (Khot Nath Keti).
The 1st season which aired on Star Plus was a 70 episode season. The 2nd season was a hotstar original but it just abruptly ended in 10 episodes. Which has made me make another conclusion - online presence of the soap opera's (another new way of presentation) has even more isolated the human presence.
But hope the director comes with more future seasons of such soap operas because as I had heard, the actors of Sarabhai vs Sarabhai needed a lot of convincing to act in the Season 2. But I hope they start with the Season 3 and end the suspense of why Monisha Sarabhai left so abruptly. He He.

While I was writing, I realized I have got one more reason to write another post. So till I think and start to write another post, you the audience (if there are any) - keep waiting.

Comments

Popular Posts